Causes of Catastrophic Workplace Injury
Catastrophic workplace injuries happen. They can be the result of things like neglect, a lack of foresight, and even carelessness. These kinds of injuries are often life-altering and, in some extreme cases, they can even be life ending. Here at the Law Offices of Darwin F. Johnson, we thought it might be a good idea to let you know what some of the causes of catastrophic workplace injuries are. Although they are rare, it is still good to know what can cause them.
- Fires – They happen. Many workers handle combustible materials every day, in places like construction sites and refineries. These accidents are almost always preventable, but when proper precautions are not taken, they can result in severe scarring that sometimes requires skin grafts or cosmetic surgery.
- Structural collapses are devastating because they often result in crushing injuries that leave workers paralyzed. These kinds of injuries often happen on building and construction sites when structures are compromised by things like weather or carelessness.
- Explosions are more common than you might think, and they leave nothing short of devastation in their wake. They can maim, blind, and even kill workers.
- Auto accidents might not be the first thing you think of when you hear about catastrophic workplace injuries, but they happen. Whether it’s a truck driver involved in a crash, or an employee getting hit by a company car in the parking lot, workplace auto accidents are often catastrophic.
- Machine malfunctions can amputate limbs, as well as cause explosions, fires and other unfortunate events that lead to catastrophic injuries. Whether the malfunction is directly the fault of the employer or the fault of the company who produced the equipment, anyone injured on the job because of a machine malfunction is entitled to benefits.
When these injuries occur, those affected need someone with a compassionate approach to help them navigate the waters of filing a claim and receiving proper compensation. If you have suffered a catastrophic workplace injury in Atlanta, GA, or its surrounding areas, it would be in your best interest to seek council from professionals like Darwin F. Johnson and his team of experienced attorneys.