Tip Top Poultry Work Injury Lawyer
Tip Top Poultry has been a major poultry processor and distributor for years. They’re known for their commitment to providing high-quality products to clients. The business has rigorous safety programs such as regular maintenance of equipment, training on safe work practices, and others.
Despite these best practices, accidents can still happen. Although some work injuries can be minor, others can result in injuries that require medical treatment. In these cases, the injured employee should contact an experienced attorney for help with securing workers’ compensation benefits.
To receive these benefits, a worker must prove they suffered an injury while performing work-related activities and the employer was at fault for the accident. Therefore, if these conditions are met, the employer should pay medical expenses related to the injury and provide employees with lost wages while recovering. That said, employers don’t always take care of their employees. Having an experienced workers’ compensation attorney on your side will help to hold your employer accountable.
Tip Top Poultry in Georgia
Founded in 1947, Tip Top Poultry is a family-owned and operated poultry firm in Georgia. Their mission is to honor God in how they run their business, serving customers, treating their workers, and relating with their vendors.
It is important to note that the poultry processing industry has a high rate of workplace injuries and illnesses.
In 2016, poultry processing workers experienced 13.3 cases of days away from work due to repetitive motions per 10,000 full-time workers. This figure is far greater than the 2.1 rate private industry workers endured in the same period.
However, the poultry processing illness and injury rate declined in 2019 (3.2 cases per 100 full-time workers annually), a marginal drop from the previous year’s 3.5 rates.
Workers in this industry are exposed to various hazards, such as:
- Cutting tools
- Packaging machinery, and
- Other dangerous processes and equipment
Potential Dangers Working at Tip Top Poultry Based on the Types of Jobs
There are many potential dangers working at Tip Top Poultry. The injury someone might experience depends on your job description. Let’s consider the following scenarios:
Workers in the Processing Area
The processing area involves various tasks, such as:
- Trimming poultry meat
The specialists use knives, scissors, and other sharp tools. As a result, they may experience cuts and lacerations accidentally if they come into contact with the sharp edges of these tools. These injuries are geared toward the fast-paced nature of the work and the pressure to keep up with production quotas.
Employees in the Packaging Area
These specialists are responsible for packing the processed poultry products into containers, boxes, or bags. This work involves repetitive motions like:
- Reaching an object
These repetitive movements can lead to strain and stress on muscles, tendons, and joints. This results in injuries like carpal tunnel syndrome, tendonitis, and other musculoskeletal disorders.
Maintenance Department Workers
Staff in the maintenance department are responsible for the upkeep, repair, and maintenance of machinery and equipment. This work can involve working with electrical systems, high-pressure systems, and potentially hazardous equipment.
These workers are at risk of electrical shock or burns if they come into contact with live electrical components or hot surfaces. In addition, they can experience injuries while moving machine parts or accidents linked to tools and equipment.
Workers Handling Live Birds
These workers are responsible for catching, sorting, and transporting the animals. In the process, they may be exposed to diseases carried by the birds, like avian influenza or salmonella. In addition, they may experience bites or scratches.
For safety, proper hygiene practices, personal protective equipment, and vaccination programs can mitigate these risks. However, failure to provide a safe working environment can result in a workers’ compensation claim due to negligence if injuries on the job occur.
Employees in the Shipping and Receiving Area
This area involves loading and unloading heavy boxes and packages containing poultry products. Employees are exposed to back injuries, sprains, and strains from lifting heavy items.
In addition, workers may experience injuries from slips, trips, and falls due to wet or slippery floors.
Therefore, proper training on safe lifting techniques and maintaining a clean and organized work environment help reduce these risks.
What to Do After Being Injured at Work
If injured at work, it is essential to follow the appropriate procedures to ensure your safety and overall well-being. Consider the following steps to take after being injured at work.
- Ensure you get immediate medical attention. Health and safety should be your top priority. If injured, seek medical attention right away.
- Report the injury to your supervisor. Immediately inform your supervisor or manager about the injury. Ensure you provide details about the incident, such as how, when, and where it occurred. Make this report in writing and keep a copy for your records.
- Make sure to document the incident. Write down every detail of the accident (date, time, location). Take photos of the scene and any materials involved. In addition, collect the names and contact information of any witnesses you came across.
- File a workers’ compensation claim. Ensure you notify the employer about your intention to file for compensation. The employer will provide you with the necessary forms and instructions for filing a claim. After completion, submit the forms before the deadlines for the compensation claim.
- Follow your doctor’s recommendations. Ensure to follow strictly the information given by your doctor. Keep records of medical treatments, prescriptions, and other expenses related to your injury.
- Keep your employer informed. Update the employer on your medical condition and any work restrictions or accommodations needed upon returning to work.
- Consult with a workers’ compensation attorney. After an injury at work, it is best to get experienced help with your workers’ compensation claim. Contact an attorney who knows how to effectively practice workers’ compensation law. They will provide guidance and representation to ensure you receive the benefits you deserve.
How to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim and How an Attorney Can Help
Filing a workers’ compensation claim involves several steps, and an attorney to provide valuable assistance throughout the process.
How to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim
- Report the injury. Notify your supervisor or employer about the injury as soon as possible in writing.
- Seek medical attention. Inform the healthcare provider that your injury is work-related and ask them to document this in your medical records.
- Obtain claim forms. Request the necessary workers’ compensation claim forms from your employer (they are legally obligated to provide these).
- Complete and submit the forms. Ensure to fill out the claim forms accurately. Provide details about your injury and the circumstances surrounding the incident, then submit it depending on your jurisdiction’s requirements.
- Keep records. Maintain copies of documents related to your claim (claim forms, medical records, and the insurance company).
- Follow up on your claim. Monitor the progress of your claim and follow up with your employer (the insurance company). If you encounter any delays or issues, an experienced attorney can help.
How an Attorney Can Help
An attorney will help you understand the claim process, your rights, and the benefits you may be entitled to receive.
- Filing the claim. An attorney helps you complete and submit the claim forms. They ensure you do it accurately to avoid delays or denials.
- Help in gathering evidence. An attorney helps gather evidence to support your claim.
- The attorney negotiates with the insurance company. Suppose your claim is disputed; an attorney negotiates with the insurance company on your behalf to secure a fair settlement.
- If necessary, the lawyer will represent you during hearings or appeals.
- An attorney ensures your rights are protected throughout the entire process.
Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Workers’ Compensation Claims
What Benefits Am I Entitled to If I File for Workers’ Compensation?
These benefits vary depending on the jurisdiction and the circumstances of your case. However, common benefits include the following:
- Medical care benefits. This covers reasonable and necessary medical treatments related to your work-related injury or illness.
- Temporary disability benefits like lost wages.
- Permanent disability benefits where you may be entitled to receive permanent disability merits calculated based on the severity of your disability and its impact.
- Vocational rehabilitation benefits.
- Total disability benefits.
Can I Get Fired If I File a Workers’ Compensation Claim?
No. It is not illegal to file a claim, although, in some cases, employers may retaliate against you. In the case of retaliation from your employer, seek legal counsel, and determine the best course of action.
Tip Top Poultry Employees Need an Attorney to Protect Their Rights
Dealing with a Tip Top Poultry work injury can be a challenging and overwhelming experience. To ensure you receive the appropriate benefits through a workers’ compensation claim and to navigate the complexities of the process, it is recommended to seek professional guidance and support.
Attorney Darwin Johnson understands the significance of protecting your rights and obtaining the compensation you need after a work injury.
If you or a loved one has suffered a work-related injury, it’s essential to consult with an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to guide you.
The Law Offices of Darwin F. Johnson, founded in 2010, is a dedicated workers’ compensation firm. We have successfully handled over 10,000 cases and recovered more than $250 million for our clients.
Our law firm focuses on personal attention, professionalism, proven results, experience, and aggressive representation. As a result of our service delivery, we have earned over 200 positive Google Reviews.
The Law Offices of Darwin F. Johnson is committed to representing injured workers throughout the Atlanta metro area and greater Georgia. In addition to Tip Top Poultry work injury cases, we handle several work-related injuries to ensure every client is protected.
Please don’t hesitate to act and secure the help you need. Contact The Law Offices of Darwin F. Johnson today for a free consultation, and let our experienced team fight for you.