Police Officer Workers’ Compensation Attorney in Atlanta, GA
There is nothing more devastating than to hear of the injury or death of a police officer in the line of duty. Yet, you are doing one of the most intense and high-risk positions in the workforce today. Injuries may happen. When they do, you need to be sure you are receiving fair and complete workers’ compensation for police officers under state law.
At The Law Offices of Darwin F. Johnson, we work with police officers facing serious financial loss, loss of quality of life, and other concerns due to injuries and illness on the job. We will guide you in ensuring you get full compensation owed to you through police officer work injury claims.
Data shows that in 2020, 30.9% of all police officers in the US sustained injuries when assaulted, accounting for 18,568 injuries. Many of these individuals suffered assaults from the use of personal weapons, firearms, knives, or other dangerous weapons, leaving them with significant injuries. The most common reason for these injuries came from answering calls for disturbances within family homes or in fights at bars.
No matter what occurred in your situation, having a highly qualified attorney to help you through the legal process is critical. Our team is here to help you.
Common Types of Injuries for Police Officer Work Injury Claims
Workers’ compensation for police officers should cover all types of injuries and illnesses that occur as a result of doing your job. If you are hurt while working, Georgia law requires that workers’ compensation cover your losses in nearly all cases, no matter the cause of the injury.
Some of the most common injuries and illnesses that cause police officer work injury claims in Georgia include:
- Vehicle Accidents: This includes vehicle accidents resulting from pursuits, collisions, or roadside accidents. Injuries can be severe and life-threatening.
- Attacks: Assault is a common cause of injuries for many police officers. This includes violent attacks, assaults with weapons, and even assaults by vehicles. Gunfire is not the only example of this, as injuries to the head, torso, and legs can also result in serious risks to health.
- Mental Health Complications: Exposure to constant trauma, violence, and loss of life can be one of the most challenging parts of the job. This leads to mental health disorders and serious, life-altering conditions.
- Burns: Police officers who enter into dangerous situations, whether they are fires, damaged vehicles, or unknown spaces, are often left with significant burns. This creates a high risk for infection.
- Muscle-related Injury: Running, climbing, jumping, and simply overexertion are some of the most common pitfalls for police officers. These can lead to torn muscles, mobility concerns, and the development of chronic pain.
- Exposure: Chemical exposures are another common type of police injury due to chemicals, illegal drugs, and fumes from vehicles. This can create long-term health complications and lung damage.
- Gunshot Wounds: These are some of the most impactful and life-threatening injuries that can occur at any time. They often lead to months of recovery and long-term complications.
If you have been hurt in any of these ways or others, allow our team to help you with workers’ compensation for police officers. We have the experience you need to get the care and support you need during this very difficult time.
Why File a Workers’ Compensation Claim with an Attorney?
Police officer work injury claims are necessary to help you to receive any compensation owed to you as a result of the injuries or illness you have at work. Keep in mind that even if your human resource team is excellent, there is the risk of the workers’ compensation adjusters working on trying to minimize the amount paid out in your case. Having an attorney by your side helps you to manage these difficult situations.
With the help of our highly qualified legal team, we can help you with the following:
- Determining the extensiveness of your claim
- Outlining the total losses you’ve incurred
- Documenting lost time at work
- Factoring in rehabilitation and long-term recovery costs
- Getting financial compensation for loss of ability to work
- Pain and suffering claims
Common Questions About Police Officer Workers’ Compensation Claims in Georgia
Will workers’ compensation in Georgia cover police officer injuries when responding as an off duty officer?
There are limitations on when workers’ compensation applies in these situations. You can file a police officer work injury claim any time you are hurt on the job or while performing work-related tasks. If you are acting on official police business, there may be some situations where your injury could be covered under workers’ compensation. Because this is a very difficult area of the law, we encourage you to speak to an attorney before filing this claim.
Can a police officer sue for injuries caused by another driver?
Another complicated area of the law is a police officer cannot sue their employer for injuries incurred on the job. That is what workers’ compensation aims to cover. However, if another person is found at fault for the injuries, it may be possible to file a claim against their insurance. Always have an experienced attorney to guide you through this process.
Why Trust The Law Offices of Darwin F. Johnson with Your Case
Workers’ compensation for police officers is out there, but it can be difficult to receive fair compensation. When you work with The Law Offices of Darwin F. Johnson, our team will work closely with you to ensure you receive professional, exceptional legal support throughout the entire process.
As a highly experienced law firm, we have outstanding legal resources to help you. Hire The Law Offices of Darwin F. Johnson:
- Over 10,000 cases handled
- Exceptional reputation for fair, aggressive legal support in Georgia
- Recovery of over $250 million for our clients
- Hundreds of 5-star Google reviews
Long-term recovery for police officers can be financially draining. Ensure that the hard work you do is fairly compensated. Set up a consultation with our legal team now.
We provide free consultations for all injured workers. Meet with our Atlanta attorney to discuss your case. Ensure you have the right team by your side. Contact us right now, we’re available 24/7.